Thank you for your interest in Sapere Environmental. We believe every employee has a unique combination of knowledge, skills and experience that contributes to our success and excellence in the industry. Our job opportunities offer a healthy work environment that promotes individual accountability and growth in an atmosphere that encourages learning, professional development and achievement. We’re always looking for qualified members to join our staff. If you’re interested, please review the open positions below:
Job Title: Wildlife Biologist/Biological Monitor
Location: San Francisco Bay Area & Sacramento Valley
Job Type: Full-time, Term Position
Job Number: 22-1024-01
Sapere Environmental is seeking biologists in the Greater Bay Area with construction monitoring experience to act as qualified biological monitors for multiple on-going projects located in the City of San Francisco and at the Port of Stockton. The position is a full-time, project(s)-specific position with an anticipated duration of two to three months. The candidate may have opportunities to work on other projects located in the greater San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento Valley. Work will primarily be in the field, but qualified candidates may be tasked with preparing biological reports, as needed. Previous monitoring and surveying experience is required, and previous approval as a U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) and California Department of Fish & Wildlife (CDFW)-approved biologist is desired. Job training provided for project-specific construction monitoring, preconstruction and protocol-level surveys, Geographic Information System (GIS), reporting, and more. Preference will be given to those that have marine mammal, giant garter snake, burrowing owl, and western pond turtle monitoring experience.
Hiring is contingent upon a candidate’s approval by the USFWS, CDFW and/or NMFS as a qualified biologist. Applicants must submit a resume documenting their relevant work experience with California listed and special-status species, handling permits (if applicable), construction monitoring and other relevant experience.
- Bachelor's degree in fisheries, wildlife biology, ecology, environmental studies, wildlife management, or related field;
- Demonstrated experience and working knowledge of California flora and fauna;
- Experience with environmental compliance and/or construction monitoring;
- Survey and monitoring experience with marine mammals, giant garter snake, burrowing owl, and western pond turtle; and
- Experience with environmental compliance and/or construction monitoring.
- Perform preconstruction and daily clearance surveys for marine mammals, giant garter snakes, western pond turtles, and burrowing owls in accordance with environmental regulatory permits;
- Construction & environmental compliance monitoring;
- Surveys (protocol-level & preconstruction) for burrowing owls and nesting birds and raptors; and;
- Surveys (protocol-level & preconstruction) for burrowing owls, California tiger salamander, San Joaquin kit fox, Swainson’s hawks, and nesting birds and raptors; and
- Complete daily environmental compliance monitoring datasheets for submittal to the Client, California Department of Fish & Wildlife and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.
- Sapere’s SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 Infectious Disease Preparedness and Response Plan requires candidates to work based out of their homes with access to a computer and high-speed internet;
- Proper COVID-19 respiratory etiquette and practicing good health hygiene consistent with current CDC guidelines is mandatory for all workers;
- Ability to safely lift and carry heavy objects up to 50lbs;
- Knowledge and application of safe driving rules and practices; and
- Per diem paid at GSA published rates for the City and County of project location, if applicable; and.
- Mileage will be reimbursed at GSA published rates for privately-owned vehicles.
- Must be capable of working safely, responsibly, and attentively on a construction site;
- Ability to work outside for extended periods, subject to natural elements and inclement weather;
- Willing to work 8-10 hour workdays subject to overtime and weekend work;
- Able to develop and maintain sound working relationships with diverse people and personalities;
- Communicate effectively and respectfully with construction personnel;
- Be reliable and be punctual;
- Valid driver's license and good driving record; and
- Has a reliable source of transportation.